Community coalitions seek not so much to create change in individuals as they seek individuals to create change in their communities.
Preventing substance abuse is a community task. Everyone has a role to play, even if they are not directly involved with SAFE – as individuals making choices, parents talking with kids and communities developing environments and values that support substance abuse free living. But there are many ways SAFE can use your help.
Work on a Specific Issue
SAFE has a variety of committees and task forces that can use your help:
- The Drug Impaired Driving (DID) Work Group develops and implements strategies to address underage drinking and driving under the influence of alcohol and drugs among 16-25 year olds in Chesterfield County.
- The Tobacco and Nicotine Task Force works to prevent tobacco use among minors, including new forms such as hookah smoking and e-cigarettes.
- The SAFE Opioid and Heroin Prevention Task Force works together with multiple community partners to address the opioid crisis in Chesterfield and surrounding communities. The Opioid & Heroin Prevention Task Force meets monthly on the 2nd Tuesday from 2:30 to 4:00 PM at the Eanes-Pittman Public Safety Training Center, 6610 Public Safety Way, Chesterfield, VA 23832.
- The SAFE Latino Coalition works to bring education to the Latino community throughout Chesterfield County and the surrounding areas and to develop strategies that will assist this community in understanding the United States laws regarding alcohol and youth.
- The SAFE Youth Coalition is an opportunity for young people to be engaged in developing strategies that will effect their peers in a positive, life-changing manner. SAFE needs youth involvement in all the task forces. We need the voice of young people to make the change that our community needs.
Volunteer For One-Time Events or Short-Term Projects
Medication Take-Back Events
Assist in distributing packets of information to persons who bring medications to take-back events for safe disposal.
Man the SAFE resource table and hand out literature at a variety of health/safety fairs and community events.