Community coalitions seek not so much to create change in individuals as they seek individuals to create change in their communities.
Preventing substance abuse is a community task. Everyone has a role to play, even if they are not directly involved with SAFE – as individuals making choices, parents talking with kids and communities developing environments and values that support substance abuse free living. But there are many ways SAFE can use your help.
Work on a Specific Issue
SAFE has a variety of committees and task forces that can use your help:
- The Illegal Use of Legal Products (PULP)Task Force develops initiatives to prevent of prescription and over-the-counter medication abuse and inhalant abuse.
- The Underage Drinking Task Force develops and implements strategies to address underage drinking and drinking and driving in Chesterfield County.
- The Tobacco Task Force works to prevent tobacco use among minors, including new forms such as hookah smoking and e-cigarettes.
- The Central Virginia Marijuana Task Force‘s mission is to educate the different sectors of the community about the harmful effects of Marijuana use and how it effects health and public safety.
- The SAFE Latino Coalition works to bring education to the Latino community throughout Chesterfield County and the surrounding areas and to develop strategies that will assist this community in understanding the United States laws regarding alchol and youth.
- The SAFE Youth Coalition is an opportunity for young people to be engaged in developing strategies that will effect their peers in a positive, life-changing manner. SAFE needs youth involvement in all the task forces. We need the voice of young people to make the change that our community needs.
Volunteer For One-Time Events or Short-Term Projects
Man the SAFE display and hand out literature at a variety of health/safety fairs and community events.